APPLY TO DEMO: THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 20TH, THE NEW SCHOOL
DEADLINE: HIGHLY COMPETITIVE! THE APPLICATION IS OPEN UNTIL 100 PROJECTS ARE CHOSEN.
THE FINAL DEADLINE IS THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 6TH 2018 (5PM EST).
Timeline: The Demo Expo will run throughout The New School campus during the event on Thursday, September 20th. The Demo Expo will be open to all event attendees from 1PM-5PM. Teams will be expected to arrive to set up no later than 10AM on September 20th.
NYC Media Lab will select 100 of the most innovative demos from across the City's university ecosystem to participate in the NYCML'18 Demo Expo. Faculty and students can apply in a concept, working prototype, poster or experience to participate. The Demo Expo is the best way to get your idea in front of an audience of 1,000+ media and technology executives and meet like-minded peers.
1. Win $25,000 in awards. Demos chosen to participate in NYCML'18 will automatically be eligible to receive cash awards. Expert judges will assess applications, and awards will be split into four categories: virtual and augmented reality; data science; entrepreneurial/startups; and creative technology. To give you a sense of what NYC Media Lab typically accepts and awards, check out the list of prize winners across categories from 2017 and 2016. A few of the selected projects are listed below.
2. Meet 1,000+ executives, investors and researchers. Executives from NYC Media Lab's consortium of Member Companies will be on site to check out your work and provide feedback. Demo participants will also receive complimentary admission to the event's workshops (Friday, September 21st at NYU Kimmel Center), which will host relevant discussions and ample networking opportunities.
3. Join NYC Media Lab's community and learn how you can get funding for your technology. Participating in the Demo Expo is the best way to get familiar with NYC Media Lab's programming, which to date has awarded over $2 million in funding to NYC faculty and students. New and funded projects, competitions, fellowships and startup accelerators will be announced at this year's event.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR...
Faculty and students can apply in the following styles of demonstrations, in order of relevance:
- Interactive/working/completed prototypes
- Research posters for engineering, computer science, or data science
- Startup concepts/pitch decks
- Prototyping concepts, design frameworks, or parts of larger prototyping concepts
- Documentation of creative technology installations
NYC Media Lab will place precedence on projects that include novel and innovative use-cases of emerging media technologies. This includes:
- Prototypes that show how emerging media technologies can be applied within industries (media, entertainment, healthcare, education, advertising, sports, and city planning/urban development)
- Technologies and innovations that have strong technical depth (computer science, data science, and engineering)
- Note: creative technology and digital storytelling projects will not be considered unless there is significant technical depth.
Types of emerging media technologies relevant to NYC Media Lab
- Artificial Intelligence
- Machine Learning
- Data Science (especially research posters)
- Data Visualization
- Brain Computer Interfaces
- Augmented Reality
- Virtual Reality (especially startups or industry applications)
- Mixed Reality
- UX Design (especially for AR/VR/AI innovation)
- Wearable technologies
THE APPLICATION IS NOW CLOSED!
Write to Alexis (email@example.com) with any questions.